Monday, 15 July 2013

Mini Review Monday #1



I have decided to start doing some mini reviews to allow me to tell you what I thought of a book, without the full review depth. The reason why I have decided to do this is because some books have been out of a while and there are plenty of reviews on Goodreads if anyone wants further details already, and the other is that some of the books I've read are actually novellas and I wouldn't be able to write full reviews on something that is generally under 100 or so pages. 
I'm not sure if this will be a weekly, fortnightly or monthly thing. More than likely it will be just when I need to so a short review. I do have a few to do, but I'll space them out of the next few weeks and then take it from there. =)




Title: 0.4 



Published: January 3rd 2011 
Publisher: Egmont
Genre: Young Adult, Dystopia, Sci Fi 
Source: Borrowed from library 
It's a brave new world. 'My name is Kyle Straker. And I don't exist anymore.' So begins the story of Kyle Straker, recorded on to old audio tapes. You might think these tapes are a hoax. But perhaps they contain the history of a past world...If what the tapes say are true, it means that everything we think we know is a lie. And if everything we know is a lie does that mean that we are, too?

My Thoughts
It's told as a transcript of some audiotapes making it a quick read with an interesting concept. 

Unfortunately I finished the book and didn't really feel for the characters let alone feel like I know them. There were also lots that was unexplained. It felt like a vague idea of the story rather than a whole story. 

There is another book in the series, I did borrow it at one point, but didn't get around to reading it, and I'm not sure I will anytime soon either. This book is enjoyable and a quick read that you could finish in one sitting, and interesting enough that you want to finish it. 

★★★ Liked It

*********


Title: The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Author: 
Published: February 1st 1999 
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Genre:  Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance


Charlie is a freshman.
And while he's not the biggest geek in the school, he is by no means popular. Shy, introspective, intelligent beyond his year yet socially awkward,he is a wallflower, caught between trying to live his life and trying to run from it.

Charlie is attempting to navigate his way through uncharted territory: the world of first dates and mix tapes, family dramas and new friends; the world of sex, drugs, and The Rocky Horror Picture Show, when all one requires is that perfect song on that perfect drive to feel infinite. But he can't stay on the sideline forever. Standing on the fringes of life offers a unique perspective. But there comes a time to see what it looks like from the dance floor.

My Thoughts
I liked (the most) the format of this book. I loved that the story was told via letters. I love reading letters so this was appealing for me. 

This was an interesting read but at the same time it didn't feel very realistic. I especially found Charlie weird (not a good weird, but an odd weird). It felt like there was something wrong with him. 

This isn't something I would have normally picked up. It got my attention only because of the movie that was being released, so I bought the book after seeing so many good/great reviews on Goodreads. 

Good, not great in my opinion, but read it for yourself as loads of people love this. I think I'll like the movie more.

★★★ Liked It




No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate all the comments I get and I love hearing from fellow readers. Don't forget to post your blog link so I can stop by. My Blog is an Award Free Zone. I appreciate the gesture, I really do, but I just don't have the time. Thank you for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...