Sunday, 21 July 2013

15 Day Book Blogger Challenge | Day 14


Day 14: Tell us your deal breakers.


I'm not sure I'd classify them as deal breakers, as I'll usually will read past them anyway and just rate the book accordingly, but I'm not fond of:
  • Insta-love
  • Love triangles
  • Annoying characters
  • Boring/no plot
If I'm just not getting into the book after reading 100 odd pages that's a DNF for me. 


The number 1 thing that is a deal breaker where I won't even bother to pick the book up are authors having 'foot in mouth' syndrome. I have a fairly decent size list of books I just won't bother with because an author has said/made public one of the following:
  • Flaming reviewers for negative reviews
  • Attacking reviewers for negative reviews
  • Authors that go around belittling others (I won't name names, nor link to the thread, but they are out there). 
This is a brief sum up of some of the issues that came to light in 2012 and have continued this year as well. They stuck with me as it was right when I was just starting out on Goodreads and blogging. I'm not talking about authors that get upset at personal attacks to themselves (I can understand that, it's what I'm talking about for reviewers), I'm talking about authors that go out of their way to tweet, facebook, blog post, and/or comment on a negative, or not as highly rated as they'd had wanted, review of their book. 
This is controversial, and I know it, but I have sat back and never said a word about it. I have however always made note of who has had such a 'meltdown' and decided that I won't contribute to them having a further meltdown, I'll just stay far away... from their books. 
For me, it is the number 1 deal breaker - attacking a reviewer over their opinion of your book. 



2 comments:

  1. Completely agree with these. There do seem to have been a lot of authors with 'foot in mouth syndrome' last year - it's pretty sad. Bloggers can effectively make or break a book, and the authors are only making it much, much worse for themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a big fan of love triangles, insta-love, whiny/boring characters or a lack of plot either. But even with books where these are present, I'll usually continue to read, unless I just get too bored by it all.

    My only read deal-breaker is the same as yours, though, just form observing, I have some authors I have on my own personal 'not a good idea' list...

    Thanks for stopping by my Book Blogger Challenge earlier. I hope you've had a wonderful weekend, Sabina.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all the comments I get and I love hearing from fellow readers. Don't forget to post your blog link so I can stop by. My Blog is an Award Free Zone. I appreciate the gesture, I really do, but I just don't have the time. Thank you for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...