Saturday, 5 January 2013

ARC Review: Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes

Author: Morgan Rhodes
Publisher:  Razorbill
Published: 11th December 2012

Series: Yes - Falling Kingdoms Book #1
Genre: Young Adult - Fantasy, Magic
Obtained From: eARC from Penguin Books Australia via Netgalley



Read from November 27 to December 2, 2012


In a land where magic has been forgotten but peace has reigned for centuries, a deadly unrest is simmering. Three kingdoms grapple for power--brutally transforming their subjects' lives in the process. Amidst betrayals, bargains, and battles, four young people find their fates forever intertwined:

Cleo: A princess raised in luxury must embark on a rough and treacherous journey into enemy territory in search of a magic long thought extinct.

Jonas: Enraged at injustice, a rebel lashes out against the forces of oppression that have kept his country impoverished--and finds himself the leader of a people's revolution centuries in the making.

Lucia: A girl adopted at birth into a royal family discovers the truth about her past--and the supernatural legacy she is destined to wield.

Magnus: Bred for aggression and trained to conquer, a firstborn son begins to realize that the heart can be more lethal than the sword...

The only outcome that's certain is that kingdoms will fall. Who will emerge triumphant when all they know has collapsed?

Firstly, I love the cover, but I'd love to know where is that assassin-ish person? That's the kind of book I thought I was going to read when I requested this. When I started reading Falling Kingdoms I wasn't really sure about it, and even thought about DNF'ing it. I'm so glad I continued and I really did end up enjoying it. 

The narrative is split and told from multiple POV's. I didn't realise this until I finished the first chapter. I'll be honest I'm not much of a fan of multiple POV's. It wasn't too bad in this book, though a couple were more significant in the story. 

I struggled to like Cleo and the rest of the characters in her part of the story. For the most part, I found her to be immature, stubborn and selfish. She does go through character growth by the end of the novel. Sadly it comes at a high price for her.

I liked Lucia's and Magnus story the most. It had the most plot twists including a revelation (though I kind of guessed it beforehand). Both characters developed well within the story, though it was a little sad to see where Magnus's character was heading. 

This book isn't short on action or blood shed. A great fantasy which features battles for the throne, romance, and some magic. Definitely worth reading if you're a fan of fantasy.


Quotes
 "Ah. I've found rumours have much in common with feathers. It's rare that either holds much weight." ~ Loc 441
"Follow your heart wherever it leads. Appreciate life, Cleo. It's a gift that can be stolen at any time." ~ Loc 1715

Really Liked It

1 comment:

  1. I am the same way with DNFing, I try not to do it and I tell myself to just push through and get to at least a halfway point because normally when I think I won't like a book and I don't want to read sometimes when I keep reading I end up really liking it. I am on the fence on whether or not I want to read this one but, great review and thanks for your thoughts!

    Kristin @ Young Adult Book Haven

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all the comments I get and I love hearing from fellow readers. Don't forget to post your blog link so I can stop by. My Blog is an Award Free Zone. I appreciate the gesture, I really do, but I just don't have the time. Thank you for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...