Thursday, 3 January 2013

2012 End of Year Book Survey


best books read in 2012
The lovely Jamie at Perpetual Page Turner is hosting The Third Annual End of Year Book Survey and it looked like so much fun, I just had to partcipate!
Note: The survey is for books you read and is not limited to just books that came out in 2012!!
I started my blog in June thinking this would be an awesome idea but little did I know how big and awesome the book blogging community is. Before I started this blog I actually had no idea how many books were out there that I didn't know about. I only found Goodreads at the beginning of the year prior to that it was whatever caught my eye at the book store. Since I've started blogging I've read and found so many exciting books and series' that I absolutely love. 
Without further ado ~ 

Best In Books 2012


1. Best Book You Read In 2012? (You can break it down by genre if you want)

Adult fiction: I've Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella
Contemporary YA: Flawed by Kate Avelynn 
Dystopian YA: The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken
Sci-fi: Partials by Dan Wells
Fantasy: Storm by Brigid Kemmerer


2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
Crewel by Gennifer Albin and Insurgent by Veronica Roth
 3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2012? 
The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken and Flawed by Kate Avelynn
 4. Book you recommended to people most in 2012?
For Fantasy/Sci Fi/Dystopian fans - The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken
For Contempory/Realistic type fans - Flawed by Kate Avelynn
 5. Best series you discovered in 2012?
I hate to sounds like a broken record but The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken would by my first pick. 
Then Elementals by Brigid Kemmerer, Legend by Marie Lu, Partials by Dan Wells, Luna Chronicles by Marissa Meyer, Blood of Eden by Julie Kagawa. Oh there were so many great series that I started, I could keep going!
 6. Favorite new authors you discovered in 2012?
Again, there are so many great authors I discovered in 2012. Nearly every author listed above was new to me. 
7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
I've always read a wide variety so this is harder to answer. I recently read Little Red Riding Wolf by Jessica Aspen for an up coming blog tour which is a genre I normally don't read, which I actually did enjoy. 
 8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2012?
There were 3 stand outs for me: The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken, Flawed by Kate Avelynn, and Storm by Brigid Kemmerer. 
 9. Book You Read In 2012 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year:
I don't think I'll get a chance to re-read any books this year. If I do, I'd love to re-read Flawed by Kate Avelynn or Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2012?

There were so many beautiful covers in 2012, but if I have to pick up I'd choose Stormdancer by Jay Kristoff, though I can't decide which cover I love more. 









11. Most memorable character in 2012? 
Poppy from I've Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella, and Celaena Sardothien from Throne of Glass by Sarah J Maas.
 12. Most beautifully written book read in 2012?
Gennifer Albin's writing in Crewel was delightful and creative. 
13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2012? 
I'd have to say Flawed by Kate Avelynn is one that has stuck with me more then any of the others I've read. 
 14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2012 to finally read? 
Mercy by Rebecca Lim and Legend by Marie Lu
 15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2012? 
"Ah. I've found rumours have much in common with feathers. It's rare that either holds much weight." Loc 441, Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes.

"Well, thanks for not shooting anyone, I guess," said Marcus. "My contribution was to somehow refrain from peeing myself. You can thank me later." pg. 344, Partials by Dan Well.


 16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2012? 
Not including prequels -
Shortest: Little Red Riding Wolf by Jessica Aspen @ 111 pages.
Longest: Breaking Dawn by Stephaine Meyer @ 754 pages.
 17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!
The entire Twilight series by Stephaine Meyer and Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire. They all had a pile of WTF moments. 
18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2012 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).
You can probably guess the answer to this: The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken and Flawed by Kate Avelynn. I loved Ruby and Liam, and Sarah and Sam. 
19. Favorite Book You Read in 2012 From An Author You Read Previously
I've Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella
20. Best Book You Read That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:
Speechless by Hannah Harrington

 Book Blogging/Reading Life in 2012 (optional)


1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2012? 
I only discovered book blogging this year, so they are all new! However I only recently discovered a BookTuber padfootandprongs07. She's awesome.  
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2012? 
I had fun writing my Speechless review as its pretty much the only one I've used gifs on, but I loved writing The Darkest Minds review because it was such a great book. 
3. Best discussion you had on your blog?
I don't have discussion posts.... maybe I should!
4. Most thought-provoking review or discussion you read on somebody else’s blog?
A recent post that Krista posted Giveaway Etiquette 101?

5. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
Unfortunately there are limited (I'm yet to find one) events where I live, but the best meme would have to be Stacking The Shelves. I love looking at what everyone gets. =)
6. Best moment of book blogging in 2012?
Starting in the first place! lol. Being approved for my first ARC and when I reached 50 followers. 
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
Over all, my Stacking The Shelves posts get the most attention. Next to that my The Darkest Minds review
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
Would you believe I didn't really know about The Book Depository. That is definitely a awesome discovery and I have bought so many books from there this year. 
10.  Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
I entered a few different challenges throughout the year, but the overall challenge was through Goodreads.

2012 Reading Challenge

2012 Reading Challenge
Sabina has read 50 books toward her goal of 50 books.
hide
Looking Ahead…


1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2012 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2013?
I have several books I definitely read this year. I did a Top Ten post on it.
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2013?
I'm looking forward to a few books this year. 

The Ward by 
Mind Games by 
Velvet by 
PODs by 


3. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging In 2013?
Get through the books I own rather then review books or purchase more books. 






3 comments:

  1. :O I started my blog in June too!! One of the best decisions I've ever made :) My favorites series of year where definitively The Elementals and Legend (especially legend!!) by Marie Lu and I can't wait for Prodigy to come out (less than a month!)

    Kaina @ These Flying Pages

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Darkest Minds is on my tbr list for this year :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am the same about having no idea how big the book blogging community is and also having no idea how many great books are out there o_o ALSO I had NO IDEA about the Book Depository till I started blogging too! Now I buy all my books from there because it is so much cheaper!

    Ohh Partials is on my shelf, but I have yet to read it, and I've pre-ordered Fragments so it'll definitely be a series I will get to this year. Glad to see it's rather good since it made your fav sci-fi category!

    Great answers! Sounds like you had a nice 2012, I hope 2013 is even better!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all the comments I get and I love hearing from fellow readers. Don't forget to post your blog link so I can stop by. My Blog is an Award Free Zone. I appreciate the gesture, I really do, but I just don't have the time. Thank you for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...