Monday, 13 August 2012

Review: One Breath Away

Author: Heather Gudenkauf
Publisher: Harlequin MIRA
Release Date: 26th June 2012
Genre: Fiction- Contemporary, Suspense
Obtained From: Purchased



Read from August 01 to August 12, 2012



"‘He has a gun.’ ‘Who? Tell me, where are you? Who has a gun?’ ‘I love you, Mum.’’ An ordinary school day in March, snowflakes falling, classroom freezing, kids squealing with delight, locker-doors slamming. Then the shooting started. No-one dared take one breath… He’s holding a gun to your child’s head. One wrong answer and he says he’ll shoot. This morning you waved goodbye to your child. What would you have said if you’d known it might be the last time?" - Goodreads


I'm having a hard time summing up my thoughts on this one. While I can break down my over ratings (see below) putting it into words isn't as easy. 

Overall I enjoyed the story and even the changing POV didn't bother me, although most of the time I only wanted to read Augie's and Mrs. Oliver's. The other POV's were from Augie's mum Holly, Holly's Dad and the police officer Meg. 

World building was limited, and although this isn't a fantasy or something that requires detailed world building, however due to the new and old combination of the school and the limited details it made it a little hard to work out where who and what and how long it takes to get from A to C and B to D. That's the best way I can put it as I don't want to give away details. 

The plot was simple but effective with extra little twists that I didn't see coming. I found the story big on "keeping you guessing" (eg. it would suggest one person, then do away with that suggestion one way or another, then again with another and so on) and the gun man was not who I thought and the link to him was a bit weak, but plausible. It wasn't fast paced, until towards the end. There were times when I wanted to just get a chapter, and therefore a POV, out of the way and get the characters I wanted to know about. Therefore I found it a bit of a drag at points. 

The characters were good and well developed. With the changing POV you were able to get an insight into where they came from and what they have been through before now. You felt for them and what they were going through. 

The main thing I didn't like was that the narrative switched from third person to first person.

This was the first book I have read by Heather Gudenkauf and I'd definitely read another by her. This was a good read. =)



 Really Liked It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate all the comments I get and I love hearing from fellow readers. Don't forget to post your blog link so I can stop by. My Blog is an Award Free Zone. I appreciate the gesture, I really do, but I just don't have the time. Thank you for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...