Thursday, 30 August 2012

Beautiful Disaster (Beautiful #1)

Author: Jamie McGuire
Publisher: Simon & Schuster UK
Release Date: 14th August 2012
Genre: Young Adult, Romance
Obtained From: ARC from Simon & Schuster Inc via Netgalley


Read from August 19 to August 21, 2012

"The new Abby Abernathy is a good girl. She doesn’t drink or swear, and she has the appropriate percentage of cardigans in her wardrobe. Abby believes she has enough distance between her and the darkness of her past, but when she arrives at college with her best friend, her path to a new beginning is quickly challenged by Eastern University's Walking One-Night Stand. 

Travis Maddox, lean, cut, and covered in tattoos, is exactly what Abby needs—and wants—to avoid. He spends his nights winning money in a floating fight ring, and his days as the ultimate college campus charmer. Intrigued by Abby’s resistance to his appeal, Travis tricks her into his daily life with a simple bet. If he loses, he must remain abstinent for a month. If Abby loses, she must live in Travis’s apartment for the same amount of time. Either way, Travis has no idea that he has met his match." - Goodreads

I have had the hardest time trying to write this review. I didn't hate the book, but there were so many elements that annoyed me. This made it difficult to rate and review it. I've spent several days thinking about how I feel about this book and how I'm going to write it up. 

Firstly I read this because I was curious. I had read so many mixed reviews that I just wanted to read this for myself and make my own judgement. So many people hated it and the relationship between Abby and Travis, and then others just loved it. I didn't hate the book but there were (and in hindsight from reading all my notes) so many things I didn't like about the story that I'm struggling to say why I did like reading this book. I was, at the time, struggling to finish some of the books that I started so I decided to give them a break and give this a read since I got it for review. I understand that this was a review addition and that things can change for the print edition but I really, and I mean REALLY, hope this gets another check before being published because the amount of errors, such as missing capitalisation and poor grammar, drove me crazy. 

There was a lot of unnecessary detours which got annoying as the main point of them was to either pull Travis and Abby apart or put them back together. There were also many unbelieveable elements in the plot too, including the basement fire that was started through the use of gas lanterns - do people really use them still? And the trip to Vegas was really unnecessary, I didn't see the point (other then to break Travis and Abby up again). The twists turned the plot into a mess. 

I found the pace to be ok. I read a few reviews saying that it was uneven but I read it fairly quickly so I must not have noticed!

I'm not even going to go into the relationship between Travis and Abby. The only thing I do want to say is that I wish Abby had had a backbone. I was so sick of her not standing by what she said. Right in the beginning she is carrying on about how much Travis unsettles her, how much she wants to get away from her past, etc then she makes friends and develops a relationship with him. Who would do that. If someone freaks you out wouldn't you stay away from them for crying out loud. 

That leads to me to the characters. There was not one character I liked. That's right, not one. Travis's behaviour annoyed me and I wont tell you what I'd do to a guy that behaved like that towards me or in front of me. 
Abby was gutless, shallow and frustrating. She did everything a girl complains that a guy does. For example, if a guy doesn't say something outright and beats around the bush about feelings and where a relationship should be going, the girl would get frustrated and possibly mad. Abby did it frequently and then got upset when Travis was frustrated. She wanted him to express himself, yet she didn't. On top of that, Abby actually encourages Travis to bash some guy up. 
I didn't care about the rest of the characters, beyond hating the name America and Brazil. I had the hardest time dealing with their names, maybe because its not a common thing here in Australia, who knows. I just didn't it.

Eastern U must be a small university because it almost felt like they were in high school. Everyone having lunch together, doing the same classes despite the differences in degrees. I don't know about American universities, but I know it's not like that here. 

Now don't even get me started on the blatant puppy neglect! I was mad when I read the part after they got him back from Brazils. 

I know plenty of people like this book, but I'm sorry, I'm not a fan. I didn't hate it, but I definitely don't love it.


It Was Ok


A copy of this book was provide by Simon & Schuster Inc via netgally. Thank you.



3 comments:

  1. Sorry you didn't enjoy this book, I actually loved Beautiful Disaster. But I definitely see where your coming from.

    World of Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not that I didn't enjoy it, it was ok. It just had too many things I didn't like and it could have been done better.
      I'm glad you loved it. I know a lot of people did. =)
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I think you're the first person I've seen review this book that didn't love it. That's okay, though. It's good to have multiple opinions! :D Thanks for the review. This book's on my TBR list. :D

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all the comments I get and I love hearing from fellow readers. Don't forget to post your blog link so I can stop by. My Blog is an Award Free Zone. I appreciate the gesture, I really do, but I just don't have the time. Thank you for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...