Monday, 15 April 2013

ARC Review: Reboot by Amy Tintera







Title: Reboot
Author: Amy Tintera
Series: Reboot, #1
Publication Date: May 7th, 2013
Publisher: HarperTeen

Genre: Young Adult, Science Fiction, Dystopia
Source: ARC provided by Allen & Unwin 







Description

Five years ago, Wren Connolly was shot three times in the chest. After 178 minutes she came back as a Reboot: stronger, faster, able to heal, and less emotional. The longer Reboots are dead, the less human they are when they return. Wren 178 is the deadliest Reboot in the Republic of Texas. Now seventeen years old, she serves as a soldier for HARC (Human Advancement and Repopulation Corporation).

Wren’s favorite part of the job is training new Reboots, but her latest newbie is the worst she’s ever seen. As a 22, Callum Reyes is practically human. His reflexes are too slow, he’s always asking questions, and his ever-present smile is freaking her out. Yet there’s something about him she can’t ignore. When Callum refuses to follow an order, Wren is given one last chance to get him in line—or she’ll have to eliminate him. Wren has never disobeyed before and knows if she does, she’ll be eliminated, too. But she has also never felt as alive as she does around Callum.

The perfect soldier is done taking orders.



Review
This was/is one of my highly anticipated releases for this year. While I held high hopes of its awesomeness, I was worried it wouldn't live up to my expectations. I shouldn't have worried, I loved it. 

Reboots are humans that have died and reanimated due to the virus. The long they are dead the less human like their emotions are. 
Wren 178 is the main character, and the perspective the story is told, who was deceased for 178 minutes before she reanimated. She is tough, ruthless, and emotionless. She trains new reboots and picks those that have been decreased the longest. 
Callum 22, is a new reboot. He is also the love interest in the story, and the most human like. He has only been deceased for 22 minutes before reanimating. 
I enjoyed both these characters and especially the banter between them. The romance between them is the driving force for the plot and I can understand how Wren changes and why she is drawn to him. If all you know is to follow orders and then someone wants to know why and you can't explain, you start questioning the orders yourself. It was though this that I could see Wren change. 

There were a few holes in the world building, but I'm not left with a lot of questions (that could also have to do with me reading this a little while ago and only writing the review now but nothing comes to mind and I made no notes complaining about it so..). It is your typical dystopian world - controlling government, virus killing the population, etc, etc but there are enough elements in this to make it original and enjoyable. 

This is a well written, great paced and entertaining novel. It is not lacking in action, but those that are a little sensitive be warned there is violence, guns and killing. 

If you like dystopian, action packed novels like Legend by Marie Lu, Glitch by Heather Anastasiu and/or Divergent by Veronica Roth, you'll enjoy this one. 

★★★★★ 
It Was Amazing



Quotes

Quotes are taken from an ARC edition and may change in the published edition.

It is true that all Reboots were attrative, in a way. After death, when the virus took hold and the body rebooted, the skin cleared, the body sharpened, the eyes glowed. It was like pretty with a hint of deranged." pg. 30.

" "I'm stronger."
 She closed her eyes and nodded slightly, fresh tears running down her cheeks. 
Apparently that hadn't been a comforting thing to say. " pg. 60

 " "I will find a stick and beat you myself when we land?"
"Promise?"
I heard a sound like laughter from Leb's direction and I looked over in surprise. He ducked his head in an attempt to hide his smile. Twenty-Two grinned at me. " pg. 70

Author Bio
Source

Amy Tintera grew up in Austin, Texas and graduated from Texas A&M University with a degree in journalism. After receiving a masters in film at Emerson College I moved to Los Angeles, where I promptly discovered I didn’t enjoy working in the film industry, and went back to my first love, writing.
HarperCollins/HarperTeen will publish my debut, REBOOT, a young adult novel about teens in a future Texas who reboot after death and are subsequently forced into slavery. Film rights have been optioned by Fox 2000. I am represented by Emmanuelle Morgen at  Stonesong. 



 Author Links



5 comments:

  1. I like great paced books. It doesn't bore me at all. I'm glad you loved this! I can't wait to get my copy of it :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review - another book to add to my TBR :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm happy that it didn't disappoint you! It does sound very good and interesting :D

    Mel@thedailyprophecy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eek I'm so excited for this book! I'm really glad it's awesome. This is probably one of my most highly anticipated books too!

    Miss J @ Miss Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear it lived up to your expectations! I'll be reading this one in the next week or so, can't wait!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all the comments I get and I love hearing from fellow readers. Don't forget to post your blog link so I can stop by. My Blog is an Award Free Zone. I appreciate the gesture, I really do, but I just don't have the time. Thank you for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...