Monday, 8 October 2012

Review: Legend by Marie Lu


Author: Marie Lu
Publisher:   Razorbill/Penguin Group 
Publication: 29 November 2011

Series: Yes 
Genre: Young Adult - Dystopian
Obtained From: Library



Read from September 29 to October 07, 2012



What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic’s wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic’s highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country’s most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths—until the day June’s brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family’s survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias’s death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

Full of nonstop action, suspense, and romance, this novel is sure to move readers as much as it thrills. - Goodreads  
 Ah, another dystopian. This one is set in futuristic Los Angeles in a typical dystopian set up - Evil government, children/teens fighting to survive. But you know what? This was one of the better YA dystopians out there, and I loved it. 

This is a compelling tale of June and Day trying to uncover the truths of their world. It's told in the POV's of both June and Day. 
June is a prodigy at the military academy living a rich life. She was conceited which is why she annoyed me so much in the beginning.
Unlike Day, who is street smart and goes around sabotaging the governments military actions. Day is brave and compassionate - caring for his sick brother and risking himself do to so. 

The world building was good. There were holes in the world building, but to be honest, I didn't notice or at least it didn't faze me while I was reading, nor now. You can put that down to either I was so happy to be reading a novel instead of a textbook that I didn't pick up on it, or Lu is a great writer and it didn't feel relevant to the story so it didn't feel like it was missing. 

The pacing was fast and next to no slow points. It made for a irresistible read along with Lu's ability to write well. 

Two little niggles, I wondered why no one questioned the Republic, or the plague or vaccines. Especially June who was meant to be so smart. 
The other thing was the semi insta- love. 
None of that really bothered me though. 

Once again, let me say, I loved this. I'm now annoyed that I read it without the sequel being released yet, because now I have to wait..... and I really want to know what happens!


 
It Was Amazing

2 comments:

  1. I hate waiting for the sequel to be released as well! It's usually why I hold off on reading some books because I have a feeling I won't be able to wait for the next book to come out.

    I loved this book too! I agree that June was quite conceited at the beginning. I have to say that I was rather surprised Day was so reckless at the beginning, I get that he was desperate to get a cure for the plague for his brother. But it felt odd because up until that point he had been described as being meticulous in everything he did and that was why he never got caught. So the fact that he was so clumsy and reckless at the hospital felt like it didn't coincide with who he had been described as.

    I did love this book though! It was very intriguing and I couldn't put it down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha the last bit your wrote at the end reminds me of me. Buying a book and then realizing it's part of a series and the next one isn't even out yet :)

    Great review, I'm even more anxious to get into this book now!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all the comments I get and I love hearing from fellow readers. Don't forget to post your blog link so I can stop by. My Blog is an Award Free Zone. I appreciate the gesture, I really do, but I just don't have the time. Thank you for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...