Friday, 26 October 2012

Feature & Follow #12



Feature and Follow Friday is host by Parajunkee and Allison Can Read and give bloggers a topic to discuss each week while discovering new blogs. 



Q: What writing device or trick most irritates you when reading a book? For example, if an author employs an omnipotent narrator that is sometimes considered bad form.


There are a couple of things that irritate me:
 Insta-love - ok this probably isn't a device or trick, but it is annoying.  
Another 'love' one that irritates me - love triangles. Two badly developed romances are not better than one well developed romance.

Not using foreshadowing cleverly enough that I end up working out the ending. I prefer to finish a book and go "wow, I didn't see that coming", but if I go back I can see clever hints that were used, but didn't give the ending away.  

I'm also not a fan of changing POV's. Most of the time I just want to keep reading the one person and get irritated when I have to read the second person before being able to go back to the POV I want to read. 

I'm sure there are more but I think that will do. =)

How about you? Leave me your link in the comments so I can see your answer. =)


Psst, don't forget I have a giveaway going on where you can win a 2012 released YA novel. See here for details. =)

16 comments:

  1. I agree with the multiple POVs getting annoying at some point of time. Insta-love I don't have much problem with though. ;)

    New follower here! :)

    My Feature & Follow Friday

    Sarika @ The Readdicts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya! New follower here. :)
    I'm seeing insta-love on everyones answers! When will authors learn?? lol
    --Megan @ Books i View

    ReplyDelete
  3. DEATH to Insta-love! It got old right when it started.

    Old follower

    http://theparanormalpalace.blogspot.com/2012/10/feature-friday.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree on all points. I actually didn't put instalove or love triangles because I thought "Those aren't tricks. They're just sucky plots" but then I wish I had included them.

    My follow friday! Please visit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great points--I'm not a huge fan of changing POVs either. It's rarely done well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great points! Old follower here, yay!
    Thanks for stopping by my FF'S for this week
    Book Me! and Carmen Jenner.com
    Happy Friday! =D

    ReplyDelete
  7. All good points!!

    Thanks for visiting and following my blog! I follow you now too!

    Have a GREAT weekend!

    NEW Follower :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great answers =) Following you back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. New follower (following back)

    Insta-love wouldn't bother me if it wasn't made to be more like an obsession than actual love.

    I like triangles if they are done well...again more often than not they aren't.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad I wasn't the only one who took a while to think of this question:) I agree insta love drives me nuts but with my favorite book p&p she doesn't like him for half the book then starts to see differently so that I love. Thanks for stopping by my blog returning the follow GFC
    Krista
    BookReviewClub

    Happy Halloween

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hate it when I can work out the ending really ending due to bad foreshadowing... and it happens way too often. Good pick!

    New GFC follower!

    Shannon
    Readergirl Reviews a Teen Book

    ReplyDelete
  12. gah! I hate when I can figure out the book's plot too! It makes it so bland and boring! Thanks so much for stopping by :D I'm a new follower as well, via GFC!
    -Novel Reveries

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd rather one POV too, but sometimes I like love triangles....

    Thanx for visiting my FF!
    Naomi @ Nomi’s Paranormal Palace
    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree somewhat on the insta-love, but sometimes like more than one pov. Thanks for stopping by, follower

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can agree with your answers. :) New follower, following back.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, I agree on the insta-love thing. And changing PoV's. It irritates me when I dunno whose talking. Thanks for stopping by my blog! New follower~

    - Cindy
    http://bookaholicfaggots.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all the comments I get and I love hearing from fellow readers. Don't forget to post your blog link so I can stop by. My Blog is an Award Free Zone. I appreciate the gesture, I really do, but I just don't have the time. Thank you for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...