Thursday, 29 August 2013

Bookish Talk #3 - Longest read - Is it a content or length problem?


I have been wanting to do more discussion posts on here and I'm hoping to make this either a weekly or fortnightly thing. If you want to join in you can either do your own post on your blog (but please link back to here) and leave a link in the comments, or let us know what you think in the comments.



First off, I'm sorry I'm not around a lot lately. You'll notice I haven't done a Top Ten Tuesday post in a while, and I didn't do a Waiting on Wednesday post yesterday either. I nearly didn't do a discussion this week, but I really wanted to as I haven't been able to do much reading or blogging lately and I miss it and you as well! So I've taken a few minutes (ok, its takes me longer than that really) to do this post. Yay!

Secondly, life and uni are getting in the way. I don't know why this semester is such a pain, but I'm struggling to get through my uni work (time wise) because I'm so caught up with my son's sports, his friends, and my friends and family. I can't seem to find a balance between everything this semester. I'm trying to at least get a review and one other post (top ten, WoW or discussion) up each week until I get the major assessment pieces out of the way. I haven't been buying books lately (which considering I can't get around to reading right now, its probably a good thing!) so I won't have a Stacking The Shelves post for a while. 



As I said, I'm not getting much reading done, yet I have started a few books, and that plus the last Bookish Talk post talking about forcing yourself to read, it's made me think how long has it been since I've read some of the books I've started. Therefore this weeks topic is: 

What book took the longest for you read and do you think it was the content or the length that made it so?


For me I think it's more the content. Not that the content is difficult to understand or anything, more that if I'm not completely absorbed into the story, if it's not fascinating to me and doesn't hold my interest, then I'll tend to take longer to read it. I'll normally read a little at a time and read something else in between. 

At the moment the book I'm reading Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion is definitely the longest time I've taken to read a book. I started it on the 27th February and I'm only at 45%. I don't hate the book, and I do want to finish it. It's just not that interesting that I want to finish in NOW or in this case when I started it! lol. It only has 240 pages!

On the other hand, I started My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick when I borrowed it from the library and I really enjoyed it. I've since bought my own copy but I haven't picked it back up again. Not because I'm not enjoying it, it's that I have assessments to do and if I start it again I won't put it down. 

Length does not interfere with the time it takes me to read a book. The most recent books that come to mind are Insurgent at 525 pages, and The Darkest Minds at 496 pages. Both were read under 7 days (which is fairly average for me when I have uni work to do). 


So content is what holds me back on finishing books at a normal rate, not the length. What about you? If it's a long book do you take longer to read it or is it the content that holds you back? 






4 comments:

  1. I agree with you mostly. I think content is a much bigger part of taking a long time to read a book. Because if you aren't 100% in the story, or at least 50% in the story you won't feel the need to finish it. If the story doesn't make you have any desire to see what happens in the end, then it will take you a loooonnnggg time to finish. The example I have for this is when I read The Great Gatsby. It took me almost two weeks to finish an 150 page book. I mean it was a good book,I was liking it, but I had to force myself to keep picking it up, because I didn't care if I finished it are not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! It's taking me forever to read Warm Bodies, I like it, its not a long book but I have to force myself to pick it up.

      Thanks for stopping by and joining in. :)

      Delete
  2. I agree, if the story doesn't suck you in, it will take longer to read. It may still be worth reading. There are definitely books that are longer and take more time to read, especially if they are written at a higher level. I love Pride and Prejudice for example, but I know going in that it's going to take a while to get through. Good luck with school and all your endeavors. Sometimes it isn't possible to do everything, but you just have to prioritize and get the top few things done. --Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, if the story doesn't grab your attention you end up forcing yourself to read it.

      Thank you, it isn't possible to do everything, unfortunately reading and blogging aren't getting the attention they deserve/need. :(

      Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts. :)

      Delete

I appreciate all the comments I get and I love hearing from fellow readers. Don't forget to post your blog link so I can stop by. My Blog is an Award Free Zone. I appreciate the gesture, I really do, but I just don't have the time. Thank you for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...