Thursday, 15 August 2013

Bookish Talk #2 - Forcing Yourself to Read


I have been wanting to do more discussion posts on here and I'm hoping to make this either a weekly or fortnightly thing. If you want to join in you can either do your own post on your blog (if you have one) and leave a link in the comments, or let us know what you think in the comments.

I was looking at the mountain of books that I own (physical books, not ebooks), actually I was planning on talking about the book that has been on my shelf the longest when I came to the realisation that I have many books that got added to my bookshelf a year ago when I started blogging but I haven't read yet. This got me thinking of why I haven't gotten around to reading these yet. ... Let me also mention that this isn't all that was added to my shelf, there were many adult fiction/fantasy books that I got but I haven't included. 

So, this weeks topic is: Do you force yourself to read, or just read what and when you want? 

Personally, I don't force myself to read a book if I'm not "feeling it" at the time. However I do have certain books that must be read by a certain time, namely review books, and I have a calender with the date the review is due to be posted. Of course these books then get priority over the books I buy, leaving them to pile up unread. As I'm not the fastest reader, and I'm studying Law and Business at University, on top of normal living and family commitments,  I have limited reading time, normally an hour or so before I go to sleep if it's not too late (I don't function well on small amounts of sleep). This normally means I read review books first, and if I get some time I'll read something off my shelves. 

Books I bought last year but still haven't read :(
Considering the amount of amazing books on my shelf (there are a lot more than this, one's that I've added this year. When I get another bookshelf and have some order to my books I'll take a photo of them all) it makes me wonder if I should stop requesting review books and focus on what I own. 
I was originally going to do that this year, but clearly I didn't as I have several review books I need to read, which are: 
Crown of Midnight by Sarah J Maas
Banish by Nicola Marsh
Not A Drop To Drink by Mindy McGinnis (I've read this, but I'll post my review closer to the release date - I loved it though!)
Parasite by Mira Grant
Scent of Magic by Maria Snyder
Blackout by Robison Wells
Tumble & Fall by Alexandra Coutts
This Song will Save Your Life by Leila Sales
Save The Enemy by Arin Greenwood
Needless to say these review books will probably see me reading through to October. 

I am a mood reader. I can't force myself to read anything as I'll get bored with it or I'll hate it. On top of that I see all the books I own and really want to read and I feel torn. I have currently started reading 6 books: 2 review books, 2 books that have been on my shelf for awhile and 2 books I just wanted to read at the time. None of them really took me away to a point that I didn't want to read anything else. In fact I had to stop myself from starting several others because I wanted to read them too. I want to read them all..... now... right now.... Lets face it, that's not really possible. :(

I want to read what I feel like, when I feel like it, but with review books I'm finding that it isn't really possible due to the time restraints and with uni study and assessments interfering with my reading time. haha. There are times when I really do need to force myself to read a book just because it is due for review soon. 


What about you? Do you get stuck with time limits and only reading things for review? Do you read as you want and don't worry about deadlines?  







5 comments:

  1. I usually don't need to force myself to read but there are definitely some times for review books where I feel like DNFing them but I force myself to finish them. Plus I can't read more than one book at a time so reading 6 like you said is impossible for me! great post :)

    Janhvi @ The Readdicts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoaaa... Thank you for posting this, because that's exactly I feel right now! Yes, I'm stuck with time limits, so lately I'm focusing on reading books I've requested for reviews but choosing the one I really want to read. I don't really care about the deadline, but sometimes I do consider it. But after reading 3-5 books, I usually turn to my TBRs. Read at least one, and back to those books for reviews. Just like you, I only have time to read for about an hour or two before I go to sleep. Sometimes I just fall asleep in the middle of reading. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I usually don't have to force myself to read, but I have a new job and it's getting in the way of my reading!!! So yeah, with deadlines it's always a little bit forced right now. Lucky for me I love my job too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tend to read what I feel like, even when there is a deadline on something else, and then I cram like crazy on the 'have to' pile, whatever it may be. Not very efficient, but if there's a good book sitting there, I can't resist the temptation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sometimes force myself to read, but I don't enjoy it. Timelines suck thats why I only take part in one book tour a month. I like reading to suit my mood so I could have up to five books going at once. Great Post I really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all the comments I get and I love hearing from fellow readers. Don't forget to post your blog link so I can stop by. My Blog is an Award Free Zone. I appreciate the gesture, I really do, but I just don't have the time. Thank you for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...