Tuesday, 8 October 2013

eARC Review: Not A Drop To Drink by Mindy McGinnis



Title: Not A Drop To Drink
Author: Mindy McGinnis
Published: September 24, 2013
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Genre: Young Adult, Dystopian 


Regret was for people with nothing to defend, people who had no water. 

Lynn knows every threat to her pond: drought, a snowless winter, coyotes, and, most importantly, people looking for a drink. She makes sure anyone who comes near the pond leaves thirsty, or doesn't leave at all.

Confident in her own abilities, Lynn has no use for the world beyond the nearby fields and forest. Having a life means dedicating it to survival, and the constant work of gathering wood and water. Having a pond requires the fortitude to protect it, something Mother taught her well during their quiet hours on the rooftop, rifles in hand.

But wisps of smoke on the horizon mean one thing: strangers. The mysterious footprints by the pond, nighttime threats, and gunshots make it all too clear Lynn has exactly what they want, and they won’t stop until they get it….

With evocative, spare language and incredible drama, danger, and romance, debut author Mindy McGinnis depicts one girl’s journey in a barren world not so different than our own.




Review

Firstly, let me say that a lot of people are not going to see this as a perfect 5 star book. This probably isn't a "perfect" book, but do you know - I don't care. To me it deserves 5 stars. Yes it's not perfect, but that doesn't mean its not worth it. 

This is a story of drought, a world where freshwater is scarce. Lynn and her mum have their own pond which they defend with a 'shot first, ask questions later' attitude. Lynn, raised in isolation with her mum, knows nothing else but to defend that pond. 

Steb is their neighbour and I loved hearing how he was dealing with the drought as he has very little to do with Lynn and her mum. I really enjoyed his character and what he taught Lynn. 

Lynn's mum appears callous and hard but once you learn her story, it becomes more understandable. She shows a lot of strength in what she has dealt with. 

I loved Lynn. Throughout the story her character just continued to grow. There is a romance aspect, which of course concerns Lynn, but it was a sweet and cute one, that fitted with the story. 

This is a well done, quick easy read that is thought provoking, emotional and heartbreaking. 

If you like dystopians then definite give this a read. It's a favourite of the year for me.  

★★★★★ 
It Was Amazing


Buy Links





The Inspiration Behind Not A Drop To Drink






No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate all the comments I get and I love hearing from fellow readers. Don't forget to post your blog link so I can stop by. My Blog is an Award Free Zone. I appreciate the gesture, I really do, but I just don't have the time. Thank you for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...