Monday, 23 July 2012

Review: Anna Dressed In Blood (Anna #1)


Author: Kendare Blake
Publisher: Tor Teen
Release Date: August 30, 2011
Genre: Young Adult - Paranormal
Obtained from: Purchased

★★★★

Read from July 11 to 21, 2012


"Just your average boy-meets-girl, girl-kills-people story...

Cas Lowood has inherited an unusual vocation: He kills the dead. 

So did his father before him, until his gruesome murder by a ghost he sought to kill. Now, armed with his father’s mysterious and deadly athame, Cas travels the country with his kitchen-witch mother and their spirit-sniffing cat. Together they follow legends and local lore, trying to keep up with the murderous dead—keeping pesky things like the future and friends at bay.

When they arrive in a new town in search of a ghost the locals call Anna Dressed in Blood, Cas doesn’t expect anything outside of the ordinary: move, hunt, kill. What he finds instead is a girl entangled in curses and rage, a ghost like he’s never faced before. She still wears the dress she wore on the day of her brutal murder in 1958: once white, but now stained red and dripping blood. Since her death, Anna has killed any and every person who has dared to step into the deserted Victorian she used to call home.

And she, for whatever reason, spares his life." - Goodreads

This a great YA debut from Kendare Blake. I really liked her writing style and she can definitely write creepy scenes! Anna Dressed In Blood is a interesting book. 

When I first started reading I thought the main character was female. It took me a few minutes to understand that Cas was a male. I liked Cas. I have read a few people saying he was annoying or self important but I didn't take him that way. He hasn't really had much of a normal life, so I couldn't blame him for his 'lack of social skills.' ;)

Anna was an great character. I was drawn to know more about her and why is was the way she was. Her story was sad and it made it easy to be sympathetic towards her. 

The villian I never saw coming, nor some of the death's along the way. Plus the "snake" the villian had just made me want to punch his lights out! 

While I enjoyed the story, there were a few things that I didn't like or that were missing. 
1. It was never explained why she didn't want to hurt Cas.
2. Nothing was mentioned as to what made Anna that way.
3. The romance between Cas and Anna was not for me. Ghosts that you can touch just didn't seem right. 

I'll be looking forward to reading the sequel when it gets released. 

2 comments:

  1. Good to know that its from male pov and thanks for the review.
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review! I've been thinking about reading this one.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all the comments I get and I love hearing from fellow readers. Don't forget to post your blog link so I can stop by. My Blog is an Award Free Zone. I appreciate the gesture, I really do, but I just don't have the time. Thank you for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...